Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosteller's Battle Tactics for Hyborian War
MOSTELLER'S BATTLE TACTIC # 2

One of the more useful tactics I have employed over time, as well as one of the more annoying ones to my enemies, has been to invade the enemy's capital - _WITHOUT_ the intention of conquering it.

Usually, to effectuate such, I will invade with the bare minimum number of troops an imperial army must contain in Hyborian War to invade with - 8 troops.

By using the least number of troops you can to invade with, you are automatically limiting the maximum number of troops you will lose during the invasion in question.

The conquest of an enemy's capital province is always a very satisfying experience. However, such is not to say that it is always wisest to conquer and subjugate your enemy's capital.

When an enemy's capital province is conquered, their capital will simply move to another province. While the enemy's capital is worth bragging rights, and additional victory points according to RSI's victory ranking system, bragging rights can be very short lived if they must ultimately give way to your enemy's bragging rights which will inevitably follow any successful comeback by your enemy.

When invading an enemy capital, my primary intention is usually not to conquer the province in question. Rather, my primary intention in invading an enemy's capital province is to lock any characters located there into the defense of the province - preferably in a set piece battle.

This tactic is particularly effective when used in conjunction with Battle Tactic # 1, which I wrote about in a previous article on this web site. Battle tactic # 1, for those of you who have not read it yet, pertains to "divide and conquer" tactics.

Locking your enemy's characters down en masse, as often occurs when you are successful in invading the enemy's capital and locking it into set piece battle, is the equivalent of a temporary mass assassination.

When an invasion by your imperial army (or navy, if the invasion is into a coastal province which serves as your enemy's capital) is successful in locking the forthcoming battle into set piece battle, this tactic is maximized, by ensuring that your enemy's characters located in their capital will - effectively taking them out of action for two turns.

The best diplomats in the world of Hyboria are useless, from a diplomatic perspective, if they are all swept up in the defense of the province in question.

This tactic has the benefit of helping to off-set the advantage which inheres in the alternate tactic which some players employ, whereby they move all (or most) of their characters to one province, so that they can then protect more of their characters with one character which they assign to protection duty.

This tactic of locking enemy players' characters into set piece battles can be utterly devastating to your enemies, if employed in a timely manner.

My personal experience with this particular tactic has been that this is a much more effective way to neutralize an enemy's court than by reliance upon the uncertainty of assassinations. It is always a pleasure and a joy to assassinate an enemy character, but to lock down most (or if you're lucky - ALL - of your enemy's court) in a set piece battle, just to keep them out of the way during a crucial invasion or invasions elsewhere is, indeed, a most auspicuous occasion.

This tactic is also appealing if you just want to annoy a given enemy to death. While having a peace treaty slapped on you by an enemy's character is a most unpleasant experience, being unable to issue orders to most, or even all, of your characters in a turn is an even more unpleasant experience, and particularly if this happens to you during a most critical stage of the game. If carried out repeatedly in succession, this tactic can utterly demoralize your enemy.

Even if used only occasionally, this tactic can prove instrumental in enhancing your kingdom's prospects. This tactic is especially useful for silencing the arrogant, brash, and ever-bragging veteran player who has grown far too big for his or her britches.

In my judgement, this tactic is both a military tactic and an anti-court tactic. Employ it as your particular circumstances dictate. In the hands of a new Hyborian War player, this can prove to be a very useful tool in their war arsenal. In the hands of an experienced veteran, it can become a malevolent instrument of doom. In the hands of a fool, though, like virtually any tactic or strategy, it will ultimately prove to be an exercise in futility.

I hope that this tactic proves helpful to those who play Hyborian War, and especially to the new or unsuccessful players of the game.

Messages In This Thread
MOSTELLER'S BATTLE TACTIC # 2 - by GrimFinger - 02-03-2022, 01:37 PM
MOSTELLER'S BATTLE TACTIC # 3 - by GrimFinger - 02-03-2022, 01:37 PM
MOSTELLER'S BATTLE TACTIC # 4 - by GrimFinger - 02-03-2022, 01:38 PM
MOSTELLER'S BATTLE TACTIC # 5 - by GrimFinger - 02-03-2022, 01:39 PM
MOSTELLER'S BATTLE TACTIC # 6 - by GrimFinger - 02-03-2022, 01:40 PM
MOSTELLER'S BATTLE TACTIC # 7 - by GrimFinger - 02-03-2022, 01:41 PM
MOSTELLER'S BATTLE TACTIC # 8 - by GrimFinger - 02-03-2022, 01:44 PM